Courses on Exchange

Courses on Exchange

All students must apply for pre-approval of courses before they go on exchange to one of NHH's partner schools.

You can transfer 30 ECTS from your exchange semester into your degree at NHH. 

Please note that even if you receive NHHs signature on a form (admission, choice of courses at your host university or similar that you submit as part of the admission process), this is not valid as pre-approval of courses from NHH. You must always clarify pre-approval of the course you are going to take while on an exchange by submitting an application to NHH.

What courses can I take during my exchange?

While you are on exchange, you will take courses equivalent to 30 ECTS. You must take a minimum of 22,5 ECTS in minor courses. The remaining ECTS you are required to take can be made up of elective courses. The courses must be within NHH's academic area at the master level. Please note that graduate students cannot take language courses as a part of their NHH degree.

The best way to find courses is to familiarise yourself with your host school's website. You will find a list of previously approved courses at your host school in Canvas to be used as a guide of what type of courses will be approved. Even though a course is on the list you must send in an application of approval for the course, as you may have a different academic background than the students that have taken the course before you.

  • FAQ for international students

    FAQ for international students

    Q: May I take fewer than 30 ECTS?

    A: If you are an international student (without financial support from Lånekassen) you must still complete at least 22,5 ECTS while on exchange. These courses cannot overlap with your major or courses you have previously taken at NHH.

Students that have already fulfilled a minor at NHH are not eligible to apply for exchange. Remember that you cannot transfer any courses taken on the exchange into your major profile at NHH.

The opportunity to complete a specialised minor on exchange at selected schools has been a pilot program from 2017-19 and will no longer be an option starting in 2020-21.

What must I do to get my credits transferred?

To be able to transfer your credits from your host school into your NHH degree, the Section for International Relations must have received the following documents:

  • An application of pre-approval of courses you have taken while on the exchange,
  • An original transcript from your host school
  • A submitted NHH questionnaire regarding your exchange stay. You will receive a link to the questionnaire by email after your stay.  Erasmus+ students must be aware that the NHH questionnaire is not the same as the Erasmus+ questionnaire and that you must hand in both.

Most host schools send the original transcript directly to NHH. We will forward the transcript to you when we have transferred your credits into your degree. Should you receive the transcript directly to yourself, as will be the case for most schools in the USA, you must present it at the Section for International Relations so we can take a copy.

  • Results from Sweden and Finland

    Results from Sweden and Finland

    Results can be shared between Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Students on exchange to Sweden or Finland must do the following after their exchange:

    1. Log on to Studentweb
    2. Make sure you have checked "yes" to exchange of exam results with other institutions in your profile settings
    3. Click on "Results" at the top
    4. Select "Import of results from abroad"
    5. Select Sweden or Finland
    6. Click the green button "Go to the chosen country"
    7. Answer a short questionnaire

Registering for courses in the Studentweb

You must pay the semester fee at NHH while you are on exchange. You must also register a  workload of 30 ECTS in Studentweb using the code UTVEKSLING: Elective course is taken as part of an exchange programme.