Insurance and visa

Insurance and visa

When you go on an exchange, you must have the right visa, have taken the necessary vaccines and be covered by insurance.

ID papers

While on the exchange, you must make sure to have a valid ID. Please check what kind of ID that is valid in the country you are going to before you leave. This can be anything from passport, national ID card, driver's license etc. 


There is no visa requirement in EU/EEA countries for EU/EEA citizens, but you must register after arrival. Please read more about this on the website of your home country.
If you need to apply for a visa, you must arrange this before you go on an exchange. To be able to apply, you must have an official admission letter from the host school, and NHH cannot expedite this process. If you are waiting for an official admission letter, we recommend that you read through the visa application process and prepare the necessary documentation in the meantime.
You are responsible for applying for a visa before you go on an exchange. It is also important that you make sure that your passport is valid for the entire period you are going to be on the exchange. Some countries also require that the passport be valid for six months after returning home.


It is important that you have insurance for the entire exchange stay, including travel to and from the host country. Please note that regular annual travel insurance often only covers shorter stays and holiday trips abroad.
There are some universities that require you to take out compulsory insurance that they themselves offer, especially in the US, but this may also be the case in other countries. 

Within EU/EEA

If you are a citizen within the EU/EEA, the European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to necessary medical treatment on the same terms as citizens of the country you are going on an exchange to in the EU / EEA and Switzerland. We recommend that you read more about this and order the European Health Insurance Card on the website of your home country.


It is important that you take the necessary vaccines before you travel. You must check on the website of your home country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you need to get vaccinated for the destination you are going to.

We recommend that you think in advance if you have travel plans before, during or after the exchange stay in an area where it is necessary to take extra vaccines. You must take some vaccines well in advance of departure. To get vaccines in Norway, you must get a referral from your GP. There are also private actors who can inject vaccines and it is a good idea to check prices with different providers first.